Dentists and dental hygienists perform preventive dental cleanings to preserve or improve oral health. Dental cleanings aim to protect the teeth against cavities, plaque, and other tooth and gum issues. This is done by removing bacteria and tartar that have built up on the surface of your teeth.
Although brushing with toothpaste and using dental floss are necessary at home, only a dentist can give a deeper and more comprehensive cleaning. Professional dental cleaning provides better results because plaque and tartar cannot be entirely removed by frequent brushing and flossing.
Is Dental Cleaning Painful?
Besides the mild discomfort of leaving your mouth open for a long time, professional teeth cleaning is typically painless and comfortable. However, severe plaque and tartar are more challenging to remove and can make the process more uncomfortable.
Benefits of Dental Cleaning
- Maintain good oral health
- Prevent cavities
- Prevent bad breath
- Prevent periodontal disease
- Prevent plaque and tartar build-up
- Remove surface stains
Procedure of Dental Cleaning
Whether performed by a general dentist or a dental hygienist, the procedure involves the use of three cleaning techniques:
- Scaling – Tooth scaling or dental scaling involves removing the stains and layers of bacteria and other substances that accumulate on the side and surface of the teeth.
- Debridement – Debridement is used when there is a lot of accumulated tartar or plaque and dental scaling can’t remove them. Your dentist will use a variety of dental instruments to carefully remove the deposits of plaque and tartar from your teeth.
- Polishing – after scaling or debriding your teeth, your dentist will start polishing the surface of your tooth to make it smoother.
- Washing – after scaling and polishing your teeth, your dentist will wash them off with mouthwash. You’ll need to gargle all the remaining residue off your mouth to ensure no bacteria are left in place.
Do You Need a Dental Cleaning in Vestavia Hills, AL?
A dental cleaning can remove plaque and tartar build-up from your teeth. Our team at Highlands Dental Arts can help you clean your teeth and gums to prevent bacterial growth. Call today to get started!