Endodontic therapy or root canal therapy involves removing the diseased, damaged, or dead pulp from the center of your tooth. This procedure is often used to treat decayed teeth that have become abscessed because of cavities and fractures.
If one or more of your teeth are aching, the best recourse is to contact your dentist immediately. Having an infected pulp for too long can negatively affect your oral health.
Why Get a Root Canal Treatment?
If your toothache frequently comes and goes your best option is to have your dentist examine your teeth to determine if you're eligible for root canal treatment. A root canal can relieve your toothache whenever your pulp becomes inflamed because of a bacterial infection.
Depending on the level of infection and the necessary treatment plan, root canal therapy can be finished in one or two office visits. The tooth continues to function normally after it's repaired. After the operation and rehabilitation, the rebuilt tooth could last a lifetime with proper oral hygiene.
How Is a Root Canal Procedure Carried Out?
- Your dentist will first assess whether this procedure is correct for you.
- After your assessment, you'll receive a local anesthetic.
- The dentist covers the tooth to shield it from bacteria in your saliva while performing the procedure.
- To access the root canal system and the injured pulp, the dentist cuts a hole in the tooth.
- The dentist then cleans and expands the root canal system before removing the pulp with the help of specialized dental tools.
- The dentist fills and plugs the canal once it has been cleansed.
- A temporary or permanent filling is then used to close the tooth's opening.
Do You Need a Root Canal in Vestavia Hills, AL?
We take pride in what we do and want our patients to get the best treatment they deserve. If you're ready to get your oral health in order, come to Highlands Dental Arts to start your journey to brighter and more healthy teeth. Contact our team today!